My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.modernbohemian.ca
and update your bookmarks.

It's all about the pillows...


I love pillows…

I love their coziness, their luxurious voluptuousness and the possibilities of beauty and comfort they provide. It may have to do with the word “pillow” itself…what do you think of when you hear it? Big, soft, fluffy pillows piled on top of your bed; piles of gorgeous pillows in fabulous colours and textures on a deep-seated sofa…perfect for reading or napping on a cold, rainy day. Or perhaps it is the pillowy hug from the woman you love or the mother who held you when you were tired or sad.

Wherever you find the word “pillow” it is usually associated with comfort. I have always carried my pillow (or “pullump”, as the five-year-old Aussie kid in me says) on any trip, be it a short road trip or a fifteen hour flight across the Pacific Ocean.

As a little girl, when my dad would come home from work he would call out “get your pullump Christine, we’re going to Queensland!” Oh the heaven of it! A huge pile of pillows and blankets in the back of the van and a thousand mile drive ahead of us. Too bad I had to share it with my two little brothers - but that’s another story.

Then there was the bliss of being wrapped in the loving, pillowy bosom of my nanna when we finally arrived in Queensland and climbing into a bed that was encircled by a "romantic” mosquito net and made up in clean, white, cotton sheets and pillows. One of my daughter’s few memories of my dad includes bringing her pullump into bed with him and nanna for a morning snuggle.

I have this huge collection of of gorgeous fabric and vintage blankets that just keeps expanding; spilling off the shelves, into drawers, out of drawers; piling up in corners…

So when I asked myself the question “what do I want to do?” I thought…”I want to make pillows.” I will make beautiful pillows to make people happy.

Thursday 7 March 2013

Want to be East - not West.....


This fabulous bedroom from another of my favorite blogs Belgian Pearls  belgianpearls.blogspot.ca  was what transported me this morning. From the grey and green of the west coast of British Columbia to "the idea" of another world somewhere east...

[003%255B5%255D.jpg]
Douglas Mackie via House & Garden August 2012
But then really this room could be anywhere. There are so many influences here.  Quite honestly it was the Suzanni textile used as a throw on the bed that did it for me at first, but then there is that tile floor and an actual window over the bed , which makes me think that it is French for some reason.  But then you look at those fabulous light sconces and the rug on the floor and I want to think it is in Marrakesh or somewhere exotic and beautiful.  But the wallpaper, beams and and Chinese chest, not to mention that big white radiator make me think that this is probably the bedroom of some well traveled Brit or Scot.  

Where ever it is - it is heaven and I want to live in this room.....

So that's done it for me. I am now lost in a world of beautiful exotic textiles and my plans of creating pillows with appliqued sail boats is going right out the window ......  I will post pictures of whatever comes out of today's textile exploration.

Explore and enjoy your day...
Christine

source:wabisabi-style.blogspot.ca
Kuba Cloth, love the exposed stitching

S10
source: Pottery Barn catalogue

1 comment:

  1. Lovely Suzani bed spread! And lovely blog you have here as well. :)

    ReplyDelete